Our mission is to increase educational opportunities for Latino students in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and to close the Latino student achievement gap. We are working to accomplish the latter with the Parent Education Academy (PEA).
PEA PROGRAM GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
1. Educate Latino parents on the public school system, structure, and processes
2. Train parents to serve as an advocate for the child's education
3. Teach parents about the importance of a high school and college education
4. Create a sense of investment in the child's education through personal engagement
5. Foster a positive learning environment between the school, teacher, parent, and student
6. Increase high school and college graduation rates for Latino students
Studies have shown that *"when parents complete a parent education program, 93% of their children graduate from high school” vs. 70% in all Silicon Valley (Silicon Valley includes San Mateo and Santa Clara counties).
*Vidano, Gonzalo and Massoud Sahafi. Parent Institute for Quality Education Organization Special Report on PIQE’s Performance Evaluation. December 2004. San Diego State University College of Business Administration Marketing Department. Web. 18 Mar 2014